Bike shop owner ‘in limbo’ as £1,000 parcels stuck at McColl’s

A businessman says more than £1,000 of his stock which should have been sent to customers is ‘blocked’ in a store. Martin Dallaghan, who runs a bicycle repair shop, took a number of packages to his local McColl store so they could be dispatched.

But when customers started complaining about not having arrived, Mr Dallaghan discovered they had not left the store, despite being accepted and scanned by a member of staff. The problem coincided with the company’s collapse in administration.

Now Mr Dallaghan says he has had to deal with angry customers still waiting for their purchases, reports the Manchester Evening News. Courier and parcel delivery service Yodel highlighted ‘unusual and unfortunate circumstances’ and said it was now speaking to McColl’s and Mr Dallaghan.

READ: Mum on Alton Towers break called ‘fatso’ by Airbnb host Endon in lodging row

Mr Dallaghan, owner of Never Mind the Bike Shop, took the packages to a McColl’s store in Stockport. He returned to the store when he realized that the packages had not been received by his customers.

“They showed me a room full of packages, including mine,” he explained. “I have a tremendously valuable stock in there. I’m stuck in limbo. There’s nothing I can do and they won’t give it back to me. Some of my customers are going crazy and getting crazier. We we are not a big company, we only have five employees.

“It will affect our ratings and our position on eBay, but I cannot return this equipment because some equipment is quite expensive. It would be a big loss for us.”

PayPoint services at McColl’s stores across the UK were temporarily suspended earlier this month as the company fell into administration. However, a McColl’s spokesman said all issues “have now been ironed out” as supermarket giant Morrisons is currently in the process of buying up all of its stores and saving 16,000 jobs.

Mr Dallaghan said when he brought the packages to the store between May 4 and May 12, a member of staff told him they were still being accepted. But after receiving customer complaints, he was able to track the packages online and found they had “not moved an inch”.

When Mr Dallaghan visited the McColl’s store, he said a member of staff confirmed his packages were still there, but he could not collect them as they had already been scanned. He now fears it will be weeks before he can get his hands on the packages.

“I feel like I’m going in circles,” he said. “I am passed from pillar to post. Nobody helps me.

“I understand they’re going through a tough time, but what was McColl’s management thinking that they wouldn’t stop accepting packages? It’s so frustrating because if they released them, I might take them to a store in up the street and send them from there.

“I’ve been using this store daily since 2007, but the relationship is broken now. I don’t want to go back.”

A McColl spokesperson said: “Following the fall of the business on May 9 and its subsequent sale to Morrisons, the entire McColl team has been focused on business continuity.

“One of the impacts of this transition has been the temporary suspension of some services, which has resulted in issues for customers when collecting packages. These issues have now been corrected and we apologize for the inconvenience.”

A Yodel spokesperson said: “We regret the inconvenience caused by these unusual and unfortunate circumstances. Our team is in conversation with McColl’s and Mr Dallaghan to ensure the correct processes are followed and all packages are accounted for. and delivered in a timely manner.”

NEWSLETTER: Sign up for StokeonTrentLive email alerts straight to your inbox here