Sale of bikes goes to benefit a local environmental group

LONGMEADOW / EAST LONGMEADOW – Dust off the old ten-speed and bring it to the Longmeadow Community House, 735 Longmeadow St., for the return of the bike sale, a fundraiser to benefit the Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group.

“For several years, the Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group, in collaboration with Family Bike [217 Shaker Rd. #L, East Longmeadow], held a bike sale at the community house,” said William Harbison, one of the organizers. “It’s an event that the whole city is looking forward to, but of course we haven’t been able to do it for two years because of the [coronavirus] pandemic.”

The Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group has spent the past 10 years working to make Longmeadow a greener community, Harbison said. He has worked with the Longmeadow Pipeline Awareness Group and organized symposia on climate change. The group also encourages bicycle safety and cycling, especially among school-aged people. Harbison said the parking lot at Longmeadow High School is filled with student-driven SUVs, though many live within a mile of the school.

On May 6, from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., donated bikes of any type and size will be accepted, “as long as they are in good working order,” Harbison said. The group also accepts bike racks, child carriers, helmets and other bike-related gear. The condition of the equipment is assessed and a price is suggested by Family Bike employees.

At 9 a.m. on May 7, the sale of bicycles begins.

“People are rushing to get the bike they want. Some people saw them the day before. Kids say, ‘I want this one, I want this one,’” Harbison said with a laugh.
When a bike is sold, the person who donated it receives a 100% credit at Family Bike or an 85% cash credit, with the Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group receiving the remaining 15%. “We don’t make a lot of money on it,” Harbison said, “It’s more of a community event than anything.”

Harbison said: “In 2019 we sold over 100 bikes, and the ones that didn’t sell went to Kensington School in Springfield. That’s a lot of bikes. As for this year, he said, “I don’t know if there’s pent-up demand.”

For more information on selling bikes, visit https://www.facebook.com/LongmeadowEnvironmentalTransitionGroup.